What do you wish you had known on your first day in UVic Science? Help us welcome UVic's new Faculty of Science students with your best advice, and you might win a prize!
Make a short video giving first-year UVic Science students your best tip for finding success and inspiration in Science.
Deadline: Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 11:59 pm PT
- First prize video: $100, Second and third place videos: $50 each
- Top videos will be shown to UVic Science students during Orientation
- There will be a viewing of all eligible videos in early September
- Smart phone videos are encouraged - just make sure to shoot in landscape mode and that the audio quality is good!
- Videos should be under a minute long.
Questions and Answers
1. Who can enter?
This contest is open to UVic Faculty of Science students and alums.
2. What kind of advice are you looking for?
It can be anything that you think would have helped you or your friends in first year! It could be related to classes, labs, life/ school balance, friends or anything related to your life in UVic Science.
3. Can I hire someone to shoot or edit my video?
The video footage must be created by a current UVic student or alumna/alumnus.
4. Can I use commercial music?
Any video using commercial music is ineligible. You don't need to use music, but if you'd like to, you can use Creative Commons music - just make sure the authors are correctly attributed. Learn about royalty free music.
5. Do I need release forms from people featured in my video?
Yes, but you’ll need to get proof of permission from each person in the video. See rule 8.
7. Can I use my smart phone?
Yes! Just keep your phone in landscape, and try to make sure all voices are audible. If you are looking for tips to improve the quality of your video, check out the Video Production at UVic blog for lots of great advice.
8. Can I enter a video I’ve already made?
Yes, providing it meets all criteria.
9. What are you doing with these videos?
We’ll show these to first-year Faculty of Science students during our September Orientation! We’ll also do a screening of all eligible videos at an event in early September, so you’ll get to see the other entries. We’ll also be posting a few videos on social media, on our YouTube channels and on various UVic Science websites, as well as in promotional videos in the future.
12. Can I borrow cameras and computers?
There are cameras and computer workstations available in the media commons at the library.
13. I have another question related to this contest that's not on here. Who can I talk to?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your question.
UVic Science Student Tips video contest rules
What do you wish you had known on your first day at UVic?
UVic’s Faculty of Science invites its students and alumni to tell us what advice you’d like to give to Science students on their first day at UVic in video clips of up to one minute.
All clips must visually represent the topic of “UVic Science First Year Advice.”
The entries will be juried by a panel of judges selected by UVic Science.
Winning entrants will receive a cash prize and will be screened in the new academic year, during Orientation for first year Science students as well as during an evening viewing in early September.
Eligibility and Submission Requirements
1. This contest is sponsored by the University of Victoria (“UVic”).
2. Contest is open to current UVic students registered in the Faculty of Science and UVic Faculty of Science alumni who reside in Canada excluding those who are residents of Quebec.
3. Contest entry period begins on Tuesday March 21, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST) and ends on Sunday June 18, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
4. Enter the contest by uploading your video to our contest page.
5. There is a limit of three (3) submissions per entrant.
6. If your video is selected for screening, we will request a high-resolution version.
7. To qualify for entry to this contest, your video must:
- Be less than minute long;
- Offer a piece of advice that applies to first year UVic Science students;
- Have been taken by you only, and be your original work;
- not depict an existing work, for example a painting;
- not be in violation of any applicable law;
- not infringe anyone else’s (i) copyright or other intellectual property rights, (ii) privacy or personality rights or (iii) other rights;
- not be defamatory or trade libelous; and
- not depict or suggest any of the following:
- offensive language and/or symbols;
- illegal or inappropriate activity;
- information that could identify any individual;
- nudity and/or sexual behavior;
- advertisements or commercial messages;
- any identifiable trade-marks, brands or logos; or
- any other content that UVic determines in its sole discretion to be objectionable and/or inappropriate.
8. All persons appearing in a video submission must have given their permission for the video submission to be entered into the contest. Failure of each video participant to grant permission for the video submission to be entered into the contest will render the video submission ineligible for consideration.
Judging and Prize Awarding
9. Three (3) winners will be selected by a jury conducted by the University of Victoria Science Faculty and a total of three (3) prizes will be distributed as follows:
- One (1) first place prize of $100; and
- Two (2) runner up prizes of $50 each.
10. Judging of eligible entries will be based on criteria including technical merit, originality, how well the submission reflects the theme, and other criteria as the judging panel determines to be relevant. Decisions of the judging panel are final.
11. The prizes are non-transferable, and must be accepted as awarded. However, UVic may in its sole discretion substitute prizes of the same or greater value.
12. UVic reserves the right not to select a winner or winners, if, in its sole determination, it does not receive eligible and/or qualified entries
13. If a winner cannot be reached within three (3) days following the first attempt at contact via the email address provided by the entrant, or if the winner declines the prize, UVic may award the prize to another entrant.
14. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible submissions received and the evaluation of the eligible and qualified videos by the judging panel.
15. By entering this contest, you declare that you have complied with all of these Rules and met all eligibility requirements.
16. You grant UVic a non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, worldwide, transferable, perpetual licence to:
- Use, copy, adapt, communicate, distribute, publicly display and create compilations and derivative works or merchandise from any video you submit as an entry to this contest (including any caption you have posted with your video); and
- Use your name, city or town of residence, and/or any statements made by you in connection with your entry.
and you irrevocably waive all moral rights to your video in favour of UVic.
17. You represent and warrant that you have the right to grant the licence set out in section 16 above.
18. The licence you grant in section 16 permits UVic to (a) cut, reformat, rearrange and/or combine your video with other materials and/or to otherwise modify your video; (b) use your video or a modified version of your video in UVic promotional materials; and/or (c) share your video or any version or portion of your video as edited by UVic, on any social media website.
19. Your participation in this contest is solely at your own risk. You are solely responsible for all cost you incur to take any video and to enter this contest.
20. Personal Information. UVic will use personal information collected from entrants to administer this contest and to carry out the promotional activities allowed by the licence granted in section 17 of these Rules. UVic will not otherwise share personal information relating to entrants with any third parties, except as may be required by law. UVic will not attempt to contact any entrants for any other purpose than as set out in these Rules unless the entrant has consented to receive relevant communications from UVic or as otherwise allowed under applicable laws.
21. UVic reserves the right to amend the contest rules herein or to terminate the contest at any time without any liability to any contestant or third party. Any amendments to these contest rules and regulations herein will be posted on the video contest website.
22. UVic assumes no liability for any loss, damage or injury, including but not limited to: (i) lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late, destroyed, ineligible or incomplete entries; (ii) loss, theft or damage to software or computer or telephone data, including but not limited to any breach of privacy; (iii) fraudulent calls or communications; (iv) inability of any person to participate in the contest herein for any reason including mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail, technical, computer or telephone malfunctions or other problems with computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, or software, congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination of the foregoing; (v) damage to any computer, including as a result of participating in the contest herein; or (vi) prizes that cannot be awarded or accepted.